pamela’s gluten-free banana bread

{Revised: 9/20/12}

No, I am not on a gluten-free diet, nor is anyone else in my family, but I do like to make recipes gluten-free when possible.

First of all, the grains typically used in place of wheat–the culprit for those with gluten sensitivity–are generally healthier and less refined than wheat.  Gluten-free baking mixes often include almond meal, which increases the protein and healthy fat content.  Secondly, although I don’t have a full-blown gluten allergy or intolerance, I have noticed that I sometimes end up with indigestion after eating a meal high in gluten.

Pamela’s Gluten-Free Baking & Pancake Mix is by far the best gluten-free baking mix I’ve tried.  The ingredients include brown rice flour, tapioca flour and almond meal.  This mix substitutes well in every Bisquick recipe I’ve tried, and I’ve also used it in place of regular flour on occasion.  (If you try this, be sure to account for the baking powder included in Pamela’s mix–you’ll need to cut back on the leavening in your original recipe.)

I adapted this recipe from the Banana Loaf Cake recipe on the back of the package:

Gluten-Free Banana Bread

• 1/4 c. butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. sugar or honey (I typically use a combo of brown sugar and honey)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 c. bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 c. applesauce
  • 1 3/4 c. Pamela’s Gluten-Free Mix
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine butter, sugar, eggs, bananas and applesauce; mix well.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Pour into greased loaf pan; bake 45-55 minutes or until golden brown.

Ok, I’ll admit it…I made this earlier today and I’ve already had three slices.  But they were thin slices.  And I shared one of them with Calla. 🙂

(Update 9/20/12) — I used this recipe to make muffins (it yielded a dozen) and they turned out great.  I baked them at 375 F for 25 minutes, but I recommend checking them at 20 minutes.

Abby

This entry was posted in Cooking, Nutrition, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to pamela’s gluten-free banana bread

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention pamela’s gluten-free banana bread « The Chou Life -- Topsy.com

2. jenny powers says:

Can you add blueberries and nuts to this recipe?

3. Amy says:

I don’t think I cooked mine long enough. How do I tell when it’s done.

• lettucepraise says:

A toothpick inserted near the center should come out clean. Also, you can try pressing lightly on the surface of the bread, and if it springs back, it’s done!

-Abby

4. cdgo77 says:

Really liked this recipe! I added some chocolate chips to mine and it came out fabulous. Very moist! I also made it w/o the chips in it, but I felt it was a little on the salty side. I’ll cut the salt in half next time and see if it comes out better, as I know Pamela’s mix already contains salt in it. Thanks for sharing this!

• Abby says:

I’m glad you liked it! I’ve tried it with several different add-ins…and chocolate chips are probably my favorite.

5. Kriston says:

We love the flavor! But, the texture is what we can’t figure out. We chose to make muffins instead of bread. They were cooked for 40 ish minutes but, turn out sort of rubber-y. Tips?

• Abby says:

Hmm, I’ve never had the issue of this recipe turning out rubbery. My only suggestion is to maybe bake them a bit longer? Gluten-free breads seem to take a little longer to bake than wheat flour breads.

• Abby says:

Ok, I tried this recipe for muffins and baked them at 375 (instead of 350) for 25 minutes, and they turned out beautifully. Hope that helps!

6. Pingback: What To Make With What’s On Sale: Bananas