slow cooker barbacoa

For years I have wondered how in the world to cook a London broil.  The cut seems to be a little too tough for grilling or broiling, and not quite right as a roast.  But I’ve recently found that slow cooking a London broil, then shredding it and combining with some sort of sauce makes a great sandwich filler!

*By the way, did you know that “London broil” actually refers to a meat dish rather than a cut of meat?  The cut that many American butchers label “London broil” is actually flank steak or top round.  Thanks Wikipedia for enlightening me!*

I decided to try using my last London broil purchase to make barbacoa, or Mexican barbecue.  (I really was just wanting Chipotle and this was the closest I could get! )

Slow Cooker Barbacoa (adapted from 3 different recipes I found online)

Combine in crockpot and add water almost to cover:

• 2-3 pound London broil
  • 4 chopped garlic cloves
  • 3 T. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 Tablespoons whole black pepper

Cook on low for at least 6 hours.  Remove meat and broth from pot.  Shred meat and return to pot.

IMG_9383

Add:

• 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 3 T. chili powder
  • 1/4 c. green chile or salsa
  • 2 T. jalapeno juice

Add back enough broth to keep moist.

Cook one more hour on low.

IMG_9388

Serve wrapped in tortillas with your choice of additional fillings.  We had slow cooker beans, salsa verde, cheese, and plain yogurt (in place of sour cream).  SO. GOOD.

IMG_9434

This totally satisfied my Chipotle craving, and we had enough for two more meals.  An affordable cut of meat can go a long way when prepared like this!

Do you have any other ideas for how to cook a London broil? Please do share!

Abby

This entry was posted in Cooking, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to slow cooker barbacoa

1. Ruth says:

Yea! I needed a jump-start to my slow cooked bbq rut. This looks fantastic. Wow–Eric’s okay with plain yogurt instead of sour cream, huh?

2. Debbie says:

Oh, wow, that sounds so good! I have been wondering what to cook in my new large-ish crockpot…may just have to hunt down some London broil. 🙂

3. Kerry says:

Oh that looks yummy! I’m going to have to try it.

4. Pingback: copycat chipotle « The Chou Life

5. Joy says:

YUUUMMMM! Making this soon! I will use REAL sour cream and enjoy every bite 😉

• Abby says:

Ha, Joy, it doesn’t really matter to me…I don’t like sour cream OR plain yogurt. (That’s Eric’s burrito in the picture.) I know, I’m weird.

6. Michele says:

Great idea for London Broil. I’m putting mine in the crockpot right after I hit “send”. Thanks for a great recipe suggestion!

7. Heather says:

Thank you, thank you for a slow cooker beef recipe without “cream of something soup” or packaged dry ingredients! Sounds delicious and I can’t wait to make it!

8. Karen says:

Hello, I found this recipe on pinterest and have it in my crockpot right now. You may not get this in time for tonight but here goes…Is that 3 Tablespoons of chili powder? Also what is Jalapeno juice? Thank you so much – looking forward to it :).

• Abby says:

Hi Karen,
      Yes, 3 tablespoons! You might want to start with half that amount, and increase according to taste. I was referring to the liquid in jarred jalapeños, but I often use the liquid from whatever pickles or hot peppers I have on hand in the fridge. Hope you enjoy!
      -Abby